My name is Shodai Kayama — creative technologist & design researcher based in London and Tokyo. I design new experience by weaving analog/digital interaction, storytelling and people’s creativity with playfulness.
I have just graduated from MArch Design for Performance and Interaction at Bartlett School of Architecture, University College London. And, I am looking for collaborators and new opportunities that I can apply my interaction design skill. So, feel free to drop me a message
My interest is designing new interaction that naturally adapts to daily experience. In order for this, my practices tend to be technical but also superficially simple and playful. I believe this approach can broaden people’s perspective about future interaction and technology.
Current CV is here.
デザイナー／エンジニア／リサーチャー。物語性や遊び心を用いて、アナログとデジタルの境界を跨いだインタラクションをデザインする。 技術的要素を内包しつつシンプルさや親しみやすさを感じる形態を模索し日常レベルに溶け込む仕組みをデザインすることで、未来のコミュニケーションやテクノロジーへの新たな視点を提案している。 2019年末、MArch Design for Performance and Interaction at Bartlett School of Architecture, University College London 修了。
What I do:
- Developing alternative perspectives underpinned by theories and technologies from different fields
- Creating prototypes actually interacting with people
- Building new services and products
Award / Exhibition:
- 2021 : Award (Jury Selection) - The Hanged Man, 24th JAPAN MEDIA ARTS FESTIVAL
- 2020 : Semi-finalist - Development idea based on The Hanged Man, Tokyo Startup Gateway Contest 2020 organisied by Tokyo Metropolitan Government
- 2020 : Adopted Project - Development idea based on The Hanged Man, Disruptive Challenge Selection of INNO-vation progmram organised by the Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications
- 2020 : Nomination - The Hanged Man, Generation Award category of INNO-vation progmram organised by the Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications
- 2019 : Exhibition - The Hanged Man at Fifteen, Bartlett School of Architecture graduation show, London
- 2019 : Installation - The Hanged Man at Camden Market, London
- 2019 : Presentation - The Hanged Man at Tate Britain, London
- 2019 : Exhibition - Re-fit at BrainPower, UCL Neuroscience Festival, London (Team project working with Dalia Todary-Michael, Weichen Tang, Qiuyan Da, Jowin Foo and Kongpyung Moon)
- 2019 : Exhibition - Naked (Prototype of The Hanged Man) at Prototypes in Public@Samsung KX, London
- 2019 : Exhibition - Naked (Prototype of The Hanged Man) at the project fair, UCL, Here East, London
- 2012 : Award - The performance award in "Mashup Awards 8" organised by Recruit Holdings Co.,Ltd (Team project working with @jksoft)
- 2020- : Partner creative technologist in Isoto Design
- 2020- : Freelance interaction designer
- 2018-2019 : MArch Design for Performance and Interaction at Bartlett School of Architecture, University College London
- 2018 : Intern at Nendo Inc.
- 2017-2018 : Freelance web engineer (Mainly worked with Monstar Lab Bangladesh Ltd.)
- 2016-2017 : Graduate Diploma in Design at Goldsmiths, University of London
- 2015-2016 : Study Abroad Art and Design Course at Japan College of Foreign Languages
- 2011-2015 : Design technologist, Web engineer, Project manager at Monstar Lab, Inc.
- 2007-2011 : Bachelor Media Science at Tokyo University of Technology